Thursday, July 19, 2007

Drawing cartoons about racism


It's a very touchy subject, yet one that is hard to ignore, especially for an African-American cartoonist. I try not to even touch on the subject with my cartoon "Working It Out" because it focuses on business and office politics. However, "Cafe Con Leche" is a cartoon about an African-American and a Latina who are married and live in a mostly white affluent neighborhood. I've thought about this a lot can I'm still not sure about it.
Aaron MacGruder used to tackle this subject a lot with his "Boondocks" cartoon. I've also seen the subject in "La Cucaracha" by Lalo Alcaraz and in "Candorville" by Darrin Bell. I do know that its a topic that the syndicates would rather not touch due to alienating certain readership groups. I prefer to take a more sublte approach. I will be incorporating racism themes in the future for CCL, but mostly poking fun at its ignorance. Just a heads-up.

No comments: