Saturday, October 25, 2008

End of an era

Just got an email last week saying that longtime Editor & Publisher editor David Astor was laid off. I took it kinda hard because I saw David as a friend of our industry, and a friend of mine. Nobody covered syndication and cartoonist like Dave. As a budding cartoonist, I always read his columns. I thought that a sure sign of success would be to appear in one of his writing. Well, I did, and I have to thank David for help jump-starting my career. As many of you know, I myself was laid off (also know as 'fired') from the St. Petersburg Times last May, so I can really relate. It just makes me wonder what is going to happen to the publishing industry as a whole. We saw this train coming years ago but now its finally pulled into the station. I'm hoping that David can land on his feet really soon. You will be missed.

No comments: