Monday, June 9, 2008

Saluting Tampa Bay


As many of you know I am moving from Tampa to New York in the coming weeks. I have never been a huge fan of the Tampa Bay area, with it's lack of cultural events and a non-existent arts scene. However, I've grown to actually enjoy a few things about living here. Reflecting on things, here are a few things I'm gonna miss...

1.) The beaches (though I never went)
2.) Jogging along Bay Shore Blvd. Among my favorite places to run in the country.
3.) South Tampa.
4.) Outlet Malls.
5.) Old Hyde Park
6.) Cory the dog
7.) Publix supermarkets
8.) Hillsborough Bay


Things that I'm definitely NOT going to miss...

1.) Rednecks/confederate flags/pickup trucks
2.) Slowness.
3.) The heat (and humidity).
4.) Lack of diversity.
5.) Greasy southern food (fried this, deep fried that, batter-dipped....)
6.) Bugs, flying insects.
7.) Flip-flops
8.) The Gasparilla Parade (aka "the poor man's Mardi Gras")

That said, I've dedicated this week's "Cafe con Leche" to all-things Florida. The first installation is above.

No comments: