Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Moving fast-forward in a town that doesn't move


So, as I stand in line at the local Starbucks in downtown St. Petersburg, Fla., I begin to tap my feet and check my clock. I then pull in to the parking lot of Publix (a grocery store down here) and wait about 5 minutes for the person in front of me to move their car out of the parking space. Is I nuts? Probably.
People here in Tampa Bay just move at a different pace, no matter how much you try to hurry them. Blame it on the retirees, blame it on the snowbirds, its all the same. Adapting to the pace has become a painful exercise in patience. Having previously lived in places like San Diego, Chicago and New York my pace of life is usually much faster that most of the folks I meet down here. They tell me "you need to slow down a bit. We're generally more relaxed down here in Florida." I don't buy it.

You see, I was born in South Florida (near Miami) and spent most of my youth in Orlando. Both of those places have a noticeably faster pace that Tampa Bay. But that's beside the point.

My only saving grace is when I take my trips to New York City. Ahhh, sanity.
For now, I guess I'll have to continue to adapt to the pace, or die tryin.' With apologies to Fitty.

1 comment:

JoEllen said...

c'mon over to the globe. we're not so fast either, but we can be entertaining!